birding-aus

a tribute to noisy miners

To: Robyn Charlton <>
Subject: a tribute to noisy miners
From: peter crow <>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:26:29 +1000
Hello Robyn,

Obviously you like Noisy Miners and that's fine. they are atractive looking birds. You also like lorikeets - Rainbows I suspect. I agree Rainbow Lorikeets are very colourful and attractive birds that lots of people like. they are interesting to watch and can be quite clownish in their antics.

Noisy Miners are aggressive to other birds. Just visit my place and watch the Noisy Miners chase anything that enter their territory with the exception of Masked Lapwing and Magpies. the do their best to chase Crows, magpie Larks, Channel-billed Cuckoos and Kookaburras.

The don't chase Willy Wagtails or other little birds because they have either driven them all away or killed them off. I've seen a group of five or six NMs kill a Willy Wagtail. Please don't tell me aggressive is a judgmental term.

Rainbow Lorikeets are also aggressive. Have you ever studied their behaviour at a feeder or bird bath?

They see off all other birds with the exception of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. I have seen them chase Noisy Miners, Galahs, Magpie Larks, pigeons etc etc. They are aggressive. At times one or two RLs will chase away everything including other RLs and keep ownership of the feeding table for themselves.

if there was a balanced population of bird species with no one species dominating this aggressive behaviour would be of less effect. However in south east Queensland (and I suspect some other places) we have very large populations of Rainbow Lorikeets. it is possible to count them in thousands.

Around Brisbane there has been a noticeable reduction in smaller birds - Speckled Warblers, thornbills, fairy-wrens, finches and the list goes on. it would be foolish to attribute this loss to only the aggressive species but it is probably reasonable to conclude they contribute.

The major factor is undoubtedly human habitat removal to build houses, roads, shopping centres etc. another major factor is the rather strange habit of people and councils to have "neat" grassed "lawn" areas which involves removing untidy long grass and shrubs.

Our habits of planting hybrid plants that flower all year is also a contributor.

In short we have mucked up. I am not advocating an eradication scheme but an attempt to restore a bit of habitat that favours small bird species.

If people had less flowering shrubs it may reduce the numbers of Noisy Miners and Rainbow Lorikeets which may contribute to assisting small birds.

Peter