birding-aus

The decline of ornithological publications - practical ways to help

To: "'David Stowe'" <>
Subject: The decline of ornithological publications - practical ways to help
From: "Chris Lloyd" <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:52:20 +1000
Your completely wrong!! It is a perfect response to my email. I think we may
be remiss in not providing a little more education and training or a least
access to such things for those who want to move from different points on
the avian interest line. Having said that I will leave it to some more
knowledgeable than me to answer your question!

Maybe it's just stuff on the net such as you suggest (e.g. what sort of info
and detail to include in a trip list - the sort of field surveys handed out
when you do Swiftie or Regent counts), to more 'beyond the basics' on things
such as why pointy wings are better for distance and rounded ones better for
maneuverability - and therefore what they look like in flight (hence better
bird watching or twitching - sorry they are the devil incarnate aren't they)
right through to banding and so on. I guess the other point that I was
trying to make is that much of this (though not things such as banding and
some of the survey skill) at university level and this is not always
everyone's choice of where and how to learn and is often beyond people's
time and energy budgets

One part of bird teaching that has always fascinated me is necropsy. When
you warn participants that you are going to cut up a bird to show them how
the bits all work there is about 50% horror but it is invariably the same
people pointing a finger at the syrinx of a fully opened cocky asking how it
can make all that racket!