birding-aus

The decline of ornithological publications - practical ways to help

Subject: The decline of ornithological publications - practical ways to help
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:54:38 +1000
David, in response to your suggestion about amateurs assisting in bird
conservation ...here's my response to get the ball rolling.  The following
is a Victorian perspective on this issue.

The single biggest and most straightforward action birdos can undertake is
to always formally atlas their sightings.  For anywhere in Australia you
can do this via the Birds Australia Atlas (BirdData).  In Victoria it is
via the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife.

The Atlas of Victorian Wildlife (AVW) fauna database
The AVW plays an important role in the management of threatened species
and ecological communities in Victoria.  It is fully supported by the
relevant state agency and all data is expertly reviewed and checked before

Many naturalists of all types (vertebrate, invertebrate, marine species,
etc) forward their records to the AVW as all fauna can be recorded in the
system.  Importantly, alot of additional observer detail can also be
recorded (e.g. the numbers of a species, habitat information, area covered
in count and other useful data can be sent in (as opposed to just the
presence/absence of a species). This more detailed data makes the database
 much more useful to potential users.

It is worth noting that consultants, private citizens and government
officers working on environmental matters find the extra detail very much
more useful than just presence/absence of a species alone provides. Indeed
the AVW receives many inquiries each week requesting detailed information
for sites across Victoria (including off shore areas) and detailed lists
of records for various species.

The Atlas has also made an effort to record all fauna reported in
historical journals, textbooks and field studies since European
settlement.  This means some idea of historical ranges of species (e.g.
increases or decreases in range) can be gleaned by analysing AVW data over
various time frames etc.  Indeed, many Victorian fauna (mammals, birds,
reptiles, fish, etc) listed as threatened species under the Flora and
Fauna Guarantee Act were nominated for listing using historical and other
data from the atlas.

I strongly encourage all birdos (naturalists) (while in Victorian
habitats) to record and send on their observations to the AVW so we have
the best available information to better manage our native avifauna and
their habitats.  The atlas data is a major source of information for
publications and research work on birds (and other vertebrates) in
Victoria.

The AVW has paper and electronic (excel spreadsheets) recording methods
available to interested people (use the following address to contact the
Atlas people in East Melbourne):

Atlas of Victorian Wildlife Field Data Books, AVW recording sheets and AVW
recording cards are available free to all interested observers.  I'm happy
to send an 'atlas kit' if you'd like to provide me with an Australia Post
address.

Requests for AVW Field Data Books, recording sheets and cards can also be
made via the following email address:

cheers

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.