birding-aus

Raptor guide downloads

Subject: Raptor guide downloads
From: "Michael" <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 06:31:41 +0800
G'day all

An updated guide (May '08 version) is now available for download from
the Toowoomba Bird Observers website
http://www.toowoombabirdobservers.org.au/

It has grown to a 4-pager (for better hard copies) and includes new
images kindly provided by Allen Friis, Bob Cook, Arwen B. Ximenes,
Mat & Cathy Gilfedder and Trevor Collins. Thanks to these folk, and
to those who provided feedback publicly and privately.

The club's keen to continue developing these raptor guides but can't
do much more without your help, i.e. providing more images, and
ideas/comments. We've set up a dedicated email address for this
purpose:

The higher the image resolution the better. They don't have to be
in-flight shots. One correspondent recently suggested a guide for
identifying perched raptors from behind, which I reckon's a great
idea. Don't have to be perfect either. Distant and blurred is not
necessarily a bad thing when trying to figure out what was no more
than a fleeting glimpse!

And if I can contribute useful pics, anyone can!  By that I mean I'm
no bird photographer. I finally had a go on a birding trip with my
father last June. Had little idea what I was doing and have not tried
since, but did manage the black-breasted buzzard images that appear
in the
guide. It is the one and only raptor I've photographed. Incidentally,
they were taken near the Cunnamulla weir - a fantastic view of three
birds - and a hard-earned lifer for dad.

Regards

Michael Atzeni