birding-aus

Rose-crowned Fruit-dove

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Rose-crowned Fruit-dove
From: "Jan England " <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 21:28:04 +1000
I arrived home this afternoon from Melbourne to find a dead Rose-crowned
Fruit-dove in my garden.  It had crashed into my bedroom window (where the
blinds were closed) but in the process of hitting the window it had broken a
wing and both its top and bottom mandibles were smashed.  Not only that, it
left a complete white powdery outline of its body with the wings outstretched
on the window.  It must have been flying at a very fast rate.  Maybe the local
goshawk was chasing it!  They often call from just across from my house and a
sad ending for such a beautiful bird.

Jan