birding-aus

Land of Parrots - raptors

To: Mick Roderick <>, Tim Dolby <>, Wendy <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Land of Parrots - raptors
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 18:16:04 +1000
I also noticed the changing raptors in this sequence - I at least saw Brown
Falcon, Spotted Harrier, Black Kite, possible Black Falcon, and even one looked
possibly like a Grey Falcon - there may have been a Peregrine as well (as I
thought this is what took the bird in the end), though I am happy with Hobby
call (incidentally saw my first Hobby for a while hooning across the road).
Mildura lost the entire broadcast at the Crimson Rosella (on both digital and
analog). It also hadn't restarted at about 8:45 so anyone wanting to see the
last episode of East of Eden (or whatever it was called) also would have been
annoyed.
Cheers,
Peter> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:10:03 -0700> From: >
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Land of Parrots - raptors> To: ;
; > > Hi,> Yeah, I admit that
there was a bit of rhetoric in my question as I thought it was a Hobby.> But
like Tim said, there were several other raptors shown before the prey-catch
(incl. Spotted Harrier).>  > The reason I put the question out there is cos not
long before the Hobby got the bird I'm sure there was footage of a Black Falcon
in flight. Did anybody else see that?>  > We're a funny lot...'twitching'
raptors on a Parrot doco. It was a great exercise in raptor ID though and we've
already had 4 differing ID's in under an hour...>  > Re: the Kite calls, Black
Kites can sound almost identical to a Whistling Kite...just lacking the fast,
descending whistle that Whistlers have. But I did think the call was from a
Whistling Kite and it's not out of the question that the camera was on a Black
and there were Whistlers around and that's what we heard.>  > Mick> > > > -----
Original Message ----> From: Tim Dolby <>> To: Mick Roderick
<>; Wendy <>; Birding-aus
<>> Sent: Monday, 5 May, 2008 11:51:27 AM> Subject:
RE: [Birding-Aus] Land of Parrots - raptors> > Yes, initially they showed a
Brown Falcon sitting on a branch. Then> (from memory) a few other hawks (Black
Kite) in between. Then the> footage of the hawk taking the budgie, which was
definitely a Little> Falcon / Australian Hobby.> > Tim> > -----Original
Message-----> From: >
 On Behalf Of Mick Roderick> Sent:
Monday, 5 May 2008 11:32 AM> To: Wendy; Birding-aus> Subject: [Birding-Aus]
Land of Parrots - raptors> > Did anybody get an ID on the raptor that grabbed
the Budgie!?> > > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email
address.> www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail> > > ==========www.birding-aus.org>
birding-aus.blogspot.com> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, > send the
message:> unsubscribe > (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)> to: