birding-aus

Land of Parrots - raptors

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Land of Parrots - raptors
From: peter crow <>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:51:26 +1000
A few years back when camped on the river at Innaminka we constantly saw both Black Kites and Whistling ones. However we only heard one call. after much discussion and observing we noted that when a Black Kite was calling it sounded extremely close to that of the Whistling Kite.

Last night while viewing the "Parrotw my wife said look at ll the Whistling Kites.

We then discussed the calls from Innaminka, the fact that black Kites frequent fires far more than Whistlers. The birds on the TV definitely had forked tails they must be Black Kites. the calls were Ok for Black kites as far as my les than accurate hearing is concerned.

Peter