birding-aus

RFI: Squatter Pigeon and SE QLD specialties

Subject: RFI: Squatter Pigeon and SE QLD specialties
From: david taylor <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:42:01 +1000
HI GRANT.

heres some help on some of the species you want around Brisbane

Red-backed Fairy-wren - almost a certainty at the Eagleby Wetlands - access from Logan Street Eagleby - walk down to the main pond towards the hide and there are always pairs around in the cane grass etc. Also often seen at Oxley Common, Sherwood Rd, Rocklea. Also at the Karawatha Forest park entrance on Illaweena Street, Drewvale.

Collared Kingfisher - best place I know around Brisbane is at the Wynnum boardwalk area - not sure of the exact address but its at the end of the foreshore at North Wynnum - there are a number of resident pairs along the boardwalk.

Albert's Lyrebird - I saw a number very recently at Mt Tamborine on the Witches Falls walk - start the walk from the carpark, along the top track in front of the houses after you pass the small cemetery - here I saw up to six birds, and were seen subsequently by others recently.

Barred Cuckoo-shrike - up till two weeks ago they were on Gold Creek Road at Brookfield. Drive as far as you can till you come to the Gold Creek Reservoir gates - stop the car and check the high fruiting trees around you and walking away from the gates - I saw them on two recent visits.

cheers

David Taylor
Brisbane

I saw Alberts Lyrebirds recently on the