birding-aus

lifers on the front doorstep

To: <>
Subject: lifers on the front doorstep
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:50:04 +1000
"So don't forget to look out the window or pop outside now and then - just
in case!"

I can't agree more. While maybe not lifers or all that rare I have marvelled
at seeing a Sparrowhawk take a sparrow, other unidentified raptors take
Spotted Turtledoves. Grey Butcherbirds very intrigued by my chooks and
rabbits - and they likwise. Migrating Silvereyes, though less so since my
neighbour had most trees and shrubs (including their favourite callistomen)
clearfelled (and then was asking me had I seen the wattlebirds lately - he'd
not been seeing them about - I should have suggested he install some
skyhooks for them - they were still VERY evident in my trees!!!) in my small
VERY cluttered back yard.

A Rufous Fantail and other unusual (for this area) birds in my small front
yard. A nearly nose to beak encounter with an owl in my street tree one
evening. From distress noises I hear from street tree roosting feral birds
on other nights I wonder if this bird is a regular, unobseved, visitor?

I have often seen Hobbies or Peregrine Falcons, flying over, peering into
back yards for prey items. At night I commonly hear calls from a variety
waterbirds and others passing overhead but I am no good at call ID.

I live in long and heavily urbanised Coburg (Melbourne) very close to Bell
Street and not far from Sydney Rd. Miles from any creeks or parks.

Nature is amazing and kindly comes to your door at times.
Wendy