birding-aus

rufous crowned emu wren/dusky grasswren

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: rufous crowned emu wren/dusky grasswren
From: "gary wright" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:44:39 +0930
Went for a walk on a section of stage 3 Larapinta trail today and on the high
section on the alternative track approx 7 kms west of Jay Creek I saw rufous
crowned emu wrens-good views not being secretive.  In fact it was blowing a
gale and I could still hear them callign which is saying something given my
hearing!  They were hopping across ground and sitting on top of spinifex.  this
is the first time in walking for over a year regularly in the McDonell ranges I
have seen rufous crowned.  approx 1 km west of this point I saw dusky
grasswrens again spinifex habitat on the ridge.  I have also seen them recently
on the section of stage 3 where if you are walkign east from Standley Chasm you
are walking along creekbed with spinfex on the hillside.

In the time I have been in Alice Springs I often think how much good spinifex
habitat there is and so few rufous crowned emu wrens and dusky grasswrens.
Certainly the dusky grasswrens don't need good mature spinifex as they are
frequently seen on Mt Gillen which doesn't have any spinifex at all and very
little ground cover-in fact it appears to be poor habitat, but the grasswrens
live there.

The larapinta trail is out from alice springs.

Gary