birding-aus

Bird feeders

To: "michael norris" <>, "L&L Knight" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Bird feeders
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:41:59 +1000
Interesting that this article, from a country where feeding is generally
accepted, finds that it can be harmful. And then Darryl Jones's article in
Wingspan, in a country where it isn't generally accepted, finds that it isn't
as harmful as previously thought.

I was surprised by Jones's finding that birds tend to treat feeders as snacks
rather than being dependent on them.  This might be true of native birds, but I
have witnessed my local Spotted Turtle-Dove population increase 10 fold in
response to one person providing unlimited food for them, and then seen them
desperately searching for food when he went on holidays.

This is an extreme, but not necessarily uncommon example.  Had this person
limited the time the food was available, as suggested in Michelle Plant's
article in the same issue, the effect on the birds would probably have been
minimal.

Peter Shute