birding-aus

Mt St Joseph pond, Altona, Vic & Spiders

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mt St Joseph pond, Altona, Vic & Spiders
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:37:39 +1100
Hi All,
I went, with friends, to the site for first time yesterday evening. The weather
had turned cold and there was a fairly strong wind blowing.
Lovely views of a large Golden Orb Weaver Spider in the Myoporum on the walk to
the viewing platform.
Main pond it totally dry. Only birds (apart from ferals - goldfinches et al)
seen there, were a pair of Purple Swamphen.
Ann and Bruce stayed on the viewing platform for about 1.25hr and were rewarded
with long excellent views of the Spotless Crakes visiting a tiny pool of water
and feeding. This included lifting a piece of plastic stuck in the mud and
enthusiastically feeding on the many critters sheltering below.
No sign of the Rail.
I had nice views of a Brown Falcon sitting on a nearby Boxthorn casually
surveying the area.
As we walked out at sunset a large group of Yellow Rumped Thornbills were
coming in from the wasteland to the north. We also had good views of the
resident group of New Holland Honeyeaters. I earlier saw one carrying food
(?)to a nest.
Other natives included many Rainbow Lorikeets flying high overhead to roosts.
Crested Pigeons in School and on track (with Spotted Turtle-doves).
Thanks to Peter for providing the shade cloth and all the reports and
information about this site.
Wendy Moore