birding-aus

Rusty-tailed Gerygone

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Rusty-tailed Gerygone
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:08:49 +1100
Just back from Cambodia and 4 lifer storks plus Giant and White-
shouldered Ibis an incredible sighting of the rare White-winged Wood Duck. Saw a query re Rusty-tailed Gerygone from Dave Sargeant, so here is my HBW note about this legendary bird, a classic of its kind, which
graced a few of our field guides for a while and is I think still in
Slater:
Yellow-bellied Gerygone Gerygone chrysogaster
 Taxonomy: Gerygone chrysogaster, Gray , G. R. 1858.
Five subspecies recognised
Subspecies and Distribution:
G. c. chrysogaster Gray, G. R. 1858- South, East and north central New Guinea, Yapen Island and Aru Islands.
G. c. neglecta Wallace 1865- Waigeo Island (New Guinea).
G. c. notata Salvadori 1878- west New Guinea, Misool and Batanta
Islands.
G. c. dohertyi Rothschild and Hartert 1903- south west New Guinea
(Onin Peninsula to Triton Bay).
G. c. leucothorax Mayr, 1940- lowlands of west New Guinea (Geelvink Bay region).
Note that Rusty-tailed Gerygone G. ruficauda was described as a new
species by Ford & Johnstone in 1983 supposedly from “Thirteen Mile
River” in e. Queensland. The specimens were shown by Schodde (1985) to be examples of Yellow-bellied Gerygone faded by preservative spirit, and with unreliable locality labels, as this species does not occur in Australia.

Good birding
Phil Gregory==============================www.birding-aus.org