birding-aus

Little Egret with yellow legs and feet

To: Jeff Davies <>, Mike Carter <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Little Egret with yellow legs and feet
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

I'm glad this has sparked some interest because myself and two other birdo's
ID'd this bird as a Little Egret right from the outset...and I am still sure
that is what the bird is. To those proposing Intermediate, yes I did consider
that, but only briefly and only in hindsight when looking at the fotos.

The reason we assumed Little Egret was a lot to do with the unmistakeable Jizz.
The bird was very slightly built and noticeably small (certainly smaller than a
White-faced Heron). Moreover, the bird was darting about like crazy, stabbing
at fish and jumping into the air and rarely stood in the one spot for any
length of time. This is characteristic of Little Egrets. Admittedly the size of
these species can just overlap but this bird was small and the behaviour was
diagnostic.

The bird has a less-domed head than an Intermediate and as Jeff pointed out,
the bill is also quite long. I also agree with Jeff about the colour of the
upper feet and this is why I discounted the nominate race. I have seen the
nominate race in other parts of the world and, ironically enough, I even saw
that bird photographed by Mike at Leanyer Sewage Ponds in Jan 2005. I just
wasn't aware of the colouring that juvenile Little Egrets can obtain and having
done some research (as well as having it suggested to me), I think this is what
the bird is - a juvenile.

The bi-coloured bill is indicative of a juvenile Little Egret and it has been
implied to me that the colour of the legs may too (refer to HANZAB plate facing
p981 and look at the juvenile illustrated).

So who out there takes Egret ID for granted!?!?

Mick