birding-aus

Wompoo Fruit-Dove nr Ulladulla,NSW South Coast [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Subject: Wompoo Fruit-Dove nr Ulladulla,NSW South Coast [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:44:58 +1100
Hi Greg,

Anything is possible. The call I heard was very loud and distinct, even
more so as it came form close by up high in a nearby tree. It seemed to me
to be the standard Wompoo call but with almost an unfinished quality right
at the end. Also the sound of the wing beats later also to me sounded like
a very large pigeon indeed.

I have a CD which covers all the pigeon's calls and if I was to put a
figure on it I would say that I am about 90% sure it was a Wompoo call. The
White-headed pigeon calls I have on CD don't sound like that but then I
don't have all their range of calls either.
I have also heard Wompoos in the past at Tamborine Mtn in QLD.

Since White-headed Pigeons are around in the area it is possible. Does
anyone have a sound file of a White-headed Pigeon call like the one Greg
mentions?

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology
IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

             "Greg & Val
             Clancy"
             au>                          <>,
                                          <>
             11/03/2008 12:45                                           cc
             PM                           "Alan Morris"
                                          <>
                                                                   Subject
                                          Re: [Birding-Aus] Wompoo
                                          Fruit-Dove nr Ulladulla,NSW
                                          South Coast [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Marnix,

Some years ago I was very excited to hear a "Wompoo Fruit-Dove" in the
Coramba Nature Reserve near Coffs Harbour, NSW.  It was clearly saying
"Wompoo".  When I tracked it down it turned out to be a White-headed
Pigeon.
You often only hear the second louder 'coo' of the White-headed but this
day
I heard both notes very clearly saying "Coo- coo' or 'womp-oo".

Could your bird have been a White-headed Pigeon, particularly as you state
'identified from partial wollack-a-woo" call'?

Regards

Greg Clancy