birding-aus

Inskip Pt, SEQld. Thousands of Common Terns

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Inskip Pt, SEQld. Thousands of Common Terns
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:24:18 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Just had a couple of days kayaking in the mangroves and tern watching at
Inskip Point, the southern access point to Fraser Island.

On Monday night we watched in awe (despite years of seeing this stuff)
as at least 30,000 migratory terns (almost all Commons) came in to roost
on a sandbank near the point of the spit. I went on a photographing
spree, and later relived the wonder on my computer. Barb Dickson and I
have been teaching Dorothy Pashniak, a new tern-watcher, for the past
year or so, and Dorothy sounded like a cracked record, saying, "I can't
believe what I am seeing. I've never seen so many birds in all my life!"
At last Dorothy has firsthand experience of our description of a "river
of terns". The Great Sandy Straits are truly beautiful, and the sky at
sunset, filled with thousands of milling terns is something to behold -
one of life's great experiences.

By contrast, Dorothy, who lives only 20 mins drive from Inskip, did an
evening count only a fortnight ago, and came up with a total of under
500 migratory terns.

Cheers,

Jill

--