birding-aus

CHRISTMAS AND COCOS UPDATE 3

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: CHRISTMAS AND COCOS UPDATE 3
From: richard baxter <>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:53:28 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,
             After a hectic day on Saturday with both Javan and Chinese Pond
Herons as well as Cinnamon Bittern, we headed out on Sunday morning searching
for more vagrants.  Our target all weekend has been the Red-collared Dove seen
by Mick Roderick in January but there's been no sign of it anywhere.

After lunch on Sunday we located 4 LESSER NODDY in flying fish cove, a first
for Christmas Island.  Not all that unexpected as they are now also on Cocos.
After this we headed out into the rainforest during a period of heavy rain,
hoping the rain might draw something out onto the rainforest tracks.  A
successful strategy as we found a MALAY NIGHT HERON on the side of the road
near Dolly Beach.

It has taken us about 24hrs to see all the Christmas Island endemics.

Rare birds thus far:

Pin-tailed Snipe - 15
White-breasted Waterhen - 30
Western Reef Egret - 3
Saunder's Tern - 7
Barn Swallow - 5
Chinese Pond Heron - 1
Javan Pond Heron - 1
Cinnamon Bittern - 1
Lesser Noddy - 4
Malayan Night Heron - 1

Today I fly off to Cocos for another week.  More updates to follow.

Cheers
Richard Baxter