birding-aus

Autumn Minitwitch Invitation

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Autumn Minitwitch Invitation
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:49:51 -0800 (PST)
Hello Birding-aussies,

Just letting you all know that I am organising another 'Minitwitch' for the end
of March. I run these things periodically and since returning from o/s I have
been urged to get one underway soon. So there will be one happening on Sunday,
30th March.

The rules are simple, in fact they are pretty much identical to the 'main
event' (ie, the BA Twitchathon that occurs in October), except that the times
are from 8am to 1pm...yep, it's only 5 hours.

 Teams can go wherever they like within the 5hr timeframe, but must have a
designated finishing point (i.e. you can't just knock off at 1pm wherever you
are, it needs to be pre-determined - eg the Hunter teams finish at Centennial
Park, Newcastle). This means that you have to think about the timing of your
run! We have been running this in the Hunter for a few years now and the last
one I organised also had teams from western NSW and Victoria. At this stage
there are 3 or 4 teams from the Hunter, one from Dubbo and possibly one out of
Canberra.

It's a 'purely-for-fun' event and the fact that it's 5hrs means that you can
get out on a Sundee morning and find lots of different species in a small area
in a relatively small amount of time - it really does get you thinking as it's
a tight time budget. The current record stands at 138 species and in the past
there have been great birds seen on the Minitwitch, such as Buff-breasted
Sandpiper (on Ash Island).

If anyone is potentially interested, drop me an email and I'll give you more
details.

 Kind regards,

 Mick Roderick
(from the 'Square-tailed Quites')