birding-aus

RFI: Eastern Yellow Wagtail

To: Matt Hinze <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI: Eastern Yellow Wagtail
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:32:33 -0800 (PST)
Matt,

I ducked out there this morning (Wed 27th, about 0830) and found 2 separate
birds, both along Wagtail Way. Both birds were well coloured-up and both were
Eastern Yellow Wags.

However, these birds are extremely difficult to get good views at. They are
easily the most flighty ones I've seen on Ash Island. There are hundreds of
other birds around, including dozens of Masked Lapwings and scores of Silver
Gulls that put the Wagtails up. The first one I saw I actually flushed from 2
metres in front of the car (in the grassy verge), so the lesson is to maybe
keep scanning these grassy verges from a distance, including periods of waiting
for the birds to walk out onto the road.

There is a lot of either water or high vegetation in the vicinity so I think
your best bet is along Wagtail Way itself and like Alan pointed out, probably
the earlier the better. There were Energy Australia staff coming down WWay as I
left (around 0930), so if you arrive after those trucks have been through, you
may miss the birds.

Mick