birding-aus

Satin vs Leaden Flycatcher ID; juvenile Channel-billed Cuckoo behaviour

To: <>
Subject: Satin vs Leaden Flycatcher ID; juvenile Channel-billed Cuckoo behaviour
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:20:32 +1100
Dear Birders,

Both observations were made in Lawson in the mid-Blue Mountains west of Sydney,
altitude approx. 730m.

Firstly to the Flycatcher: last Saturday (16th Feb) we were walking along the
firetrail off San Jose Ave (which follows a bit of a ridge for a bit) when we
saw a flash of movement - we initially thought we saw a spinebill flitting from
one tree to another, but when we saw it perched for a brief moment it was very
clear it wasn't a spinebill! Of course I didn't have my field guide with me so
I tried to remember all the features as well as I could, though I’m still
learning this skill. Even with my limited knowledge I realized it had to be a
flycatcher and so when I got home I looked it up and indeed it looked very
close to the female Satin Flycatcher – but then I realized the Leaden
Flycatcher looks very similar, and I had to admit that given the light
conditions at the time I can’t say for sure if the head was the darker colour
of the Satin Flycatcher. Any tips for helping me rule out leaden? I imagine
I’ll just have to leave a question mark and hope I see another one, but perhaps
locals can comment on which species might be more likely? Actually there were
2-3 females darting from tree to tree - no males, and no crest erecting was
observed and I can't remember the call clearly enough, though I think it was a
bit raspy and actually reminded me a little of the Sacred Kingfisher's raspy
call (no camera, so I couldn't record the call...). One difference from the
field guide: the underparts were more buff coloured than white. They made
little flourishes with their tails reminiscent of a fantail. Actually quite a
spectacular bird to watch - and it seems odd the females are more brightly
coloured than the males.

This morning I was walking my son to the park and heard a bit of a racket up
high in an oak tree on Honour Ave. On closer inspection the source turned out
to be a juvenile Channel-billed Cuckoo. It was squawking away (sounded like a
begging call or an “I’ve lost my mum” call). An hour or so later on the way
back I heard it again, but this time it had removed to a lower tree not far
down the street and was sitting within 2 meters of the ground in a church
garden, still squawking away (I don't think it had stopped at all since I had
first seen it!). It didn’t look like any birds were feeding it (since it's
fledged would it find its own food or would the host bird still feed it?),
mynas were attacking it every now and then, and a Red Wattlebird sitting in an
adjacent tree was voicing its disapproval. We stood a couple of meters away
from it and had a good look – it seemed completely unperturbed by us. Is this
common behaviour of these birds? Of course I didn't have my camera, yet another
missed opportunity...though I wouldn't be surprised if it's there later this
afternoon!

cheers,
arwen

Lawson, Blue Mountains,
Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org