birding-aus

Fw: Cooktown Gull discussion

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Fw: Cooktown Gull discussion
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:57:24 +1100
Your American Herring Gull (AMG) certainly has a strong resemblance to the Cooktown bird and it may in fact be one because we've just learnt that Vega and Mongolian have been lumped with AMG. But the differences as I see them are as follows. These could of course just be individual differences but together I feel, rule out nominate AMG.
1. Underwing coverts on your bird are barred, ours are plain.
2. Scapulars are much paler on yours.
3. Undertail and uppertail coverts & rump more densely 'spotted' on yours.
4. Primary pattern is different. On ours there is very little black on inner web of p1 to p4 then an abrupt change with increasing amount of black on inner web from p5 - p10. On yours the variation of black on inner web is more gradual.
5. Bill much paler on yours.
6. Legs much duller on yours, ours are brighter and pinker.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the debate, .

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel (03) 9787 7136