birding-aus

More on Herring Gull taxonomy

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: More on Herring Gull taxonomy
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:27:41 +1000
Carl Clifford wrote: "And there is a little item for Bob Inglis there as
well, a little bit of Tattler shuffling."

You are bit slow, Carl. Christidis and Boles 2008 has the tattlers in the
Genus 'Tringa" where it was some time ago before being moved to genus
Heteroscelus.

You all should know that I am not THE expert on tattlers. I just happen to have seen and photographed a lot of tattlers and have a pretty good idea on which is which. I also have observed that a lot of people on Birding-Aus have not had the experience with the two species that I have and can possibly benefit from my experience and, more importantly, my photos. When I get the time I will bring the information on my tattler images on Flickr up to date (where necessary - most of them have the correct genus information) but right at this moment it is not at the top of my priorities particularly considering that, of the current Australian Field Guides, only the Peter Menkhorst version of 'Pizzey and Knight" is using the 'Christidis and Boles 2008' Taxonomy.

Cheers

Bob Inglis