birding-aus

New house list addition - Powerful Owl!

Subject: New house list addition - Powerful Owl!
From: Dave Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:59:07 +1100
Just had the most awesome experience!
I live in a townhouse complex in North Rocks (near Parramatta, Sydney NSW) which has a large fig tree in the driveway. Usually best known bird-wise for Koels and Channel-billed Cuckoos, it is also a nightly haunt of heaps of Flying Foxes (Red-necked??). I was spotlighting the Flying Foxes tonight (with red filter on) in the hope of getting a couple of photos. All was very interesting with the odd squabble and the animals being quite close to me. Imagine my surprise when a "flying fox" flew out of the tree and then perched upright in the open gum tree only 4-5 metres away! Nicely silhouetted against the night sky was a beautiful big Powerful Owl! It allowed me to watch it for a few minutes (enough time to ring my wife 30 metres away who came and saw it - although it made her miss the start of Grey's Anatomy so she wasn't quite as excited as i was! ) I was able to calmly take a couple of photos and light it briefly with the red spotlight. Never get sick of seeing such an awesome bird and even better seeing one "doing it's thing" rather than just roosting. This adds another bird of the night to my house list which includes Boobook and Tawny Frogmouth.

I know the topic of PO diet has been discussed before but I can only assume that this one was after the Flying Foxes.

Funnily enough i was searching Cumberland SF for Owls this afternoon with no luck - should have just stayed home after all! :)

Cheers
Dave Stowe