birding-aus

Plumage topography questions

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Plumage topography questions
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:04:48 +1100
Question 1.  I'm looking at the topography chapter in "Shorebirds of
Australia" and I'm trying to understand figure 5.8 on page 73.  The text
says that the scapulars can be raised and lowered and I don't understand
exactly what that means.

In 5.8b where they're lowered they just look longer to me.  How has the
bird achieved that?  Has it rotated them downwards?  If so, what do they
achieve by doing that?  Are there particular circumstances where I'd
expect to see them raised or lowered?

Apologies to anyone who doesn't have that book. I hope you understand
the question anyway.

Question 2.  Figure 5.1 shows the primaries and tertials (why aren't
they called tertiaries?) showing on a folded wing.  Can you ever see a
bird's secondaries when the wing is folded?

Question 3.  Would much of the stuff in this chapter would not apply to
non-shorebirds?

Peter Shute