birding-aus

4WD hire in Western Australia

To: <>
Subject: 4WD hire in Western Australia
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:14:09 +0900
Hi all

In a few months time, I'm planning to drive from Perth to Broome and back, seeing as I miss Broome terribly and haven't been through the Pilbara and Gascoyne since I started birdwatching.

I'm currently having a bit of a problem finding a hire company that doesn't state that their 4WDs are to "stay on the bitumen". This rule has me stumped, why would I pay the extra money for a 4WD if I'm only allowed to drive on roads where only a 2WD is required? Over half the roads in W.A. are gravel anyway, and I'll quite likely be driving on a few more sandy tracks where I would like the security of 4WD.

Anyone know of a hire company that will actually let me take their 4WDs four-wheel driving?

Thanks

Belinda