birding-aus

TRIP REPORT KING ISLAND ?08

Subject: TRIP REPORT KING ISLAND ?08
From: Frank Pierce / Janet Mattiske <>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:33:53 +1100
TRIP REPORT KING ISLAND '08

Janet and I flew with Rex from Tullamarine to KI on 29/01 and returned on 2/02. Our aim was to see the KI endemic subspecies and pick up plastic ticks for Wild Turkey and Californian Quail. We stayed at the Narracoopa Holiday Units, which were comfortable, and travelled 700+ km in a hired Rav 4WD. A 4WD is necessary to drive to the swamps etc.
The weather was pleasant for the whole of the stay.
A significant section of the remaining area of natural habitat in the northeast quarter of KI was severely burnt in the 2007 fire, including most of Nook Swamp. It was a hot fire and regeneration will take a number of years.

We recorded 64 species and the birding results are summarised below.

TARGETS SEEN
Wild Turkey                                                       common
Green Rosella brownii 2 sightings in Pegarah Forest
Superb Fairy-wren                      elizabethae        common
White-browed Scrubwren            tregallisi            common
Scrubtit greenianus 1 sighting at Nook Swamp; see below
Tasmanian Thornbill                   rufifrons           common
Yellow Wattlebird kingi 2 sightings in Pegarah Forest and Reekara Rd
New Holland Honeyeater             caudata             common
Dusky Robin                              kingi                 common
Black Currawong colie 1 sighting near Yellow Rock car park
Silvereye                                   ochorchrous      several sightings

TARGETS NOT SEEN
Californian Quail                         not seen despite extensive searching
Brown Thornbill archibaldi only recorded once, in 2002, since 1971. All th'bills seen were checked.

The Scrubtit, as far as I could determine, had only been seen once since the 2007 fire; by Chris Tzaros in 10/07. On 31/01/08 I saw one bird in a small patch of unburnt vegetation on the edge of Nook Swamp, at 39 40 24s, 144 05 18e. This was 2.2km down the sign-posted 4WD track which is 200m east of the Penny Lagoon turnoff. Also seen in this patch were Tasmanian Thornbill, Olive Whistler, Grey Fantail and Goldfinch (which has a very similar call to the Scrubtit). There are serious nettles in this bush, which penetrate thin clothing.

Thanks to the locals and Birding-ausers who responded to my RFI's.

Cheers

Frank Pierce

FULL LIST
Peafowl, Indian