birding-aus

Myna in a traffic light

To: Harry Clarke <>
Subject: Myna in a traffic light
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:25:59 +1100
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:46:27AM +1100, Harry Clarke wrote:
> Maybe bird vision doesn't react to red light but I thought the heat would
> drive most avian life away.

They should be able to see the red light - I don't know about Mynas but
birds generally have more elaborate color vision than we do.  At least
in Sydney, red traffic lights switched some years ago to LEDs.  Its an
application LEDs are particularly well suited reducing power consumption
by 5-10x and with significiantly longer long lifetime.  An unintended
consequence could well be 5-10x less heating of a Mynah nest.

Andrew