birding-aus

Birdstack: a good response by David Ringer

To: "Birding-Aus" <>, <>
Subject: Birdstack: a good response by David Ringer
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:55:16 +1000
Hi David (Ringer),

Thank you for your very well presented response to some of the knee-jerk reactions to Duncan Fraser's considerate and thoughtful (as usual) advice as to the availability of Birdstack. I think you have answered in a most diplomatic and considered way most, if not all, of the concerns that some people had expressed even before they had taken the time to have a look at the product and, indeed, even before they had apparently found out what it actually is. The style and poise inherent in your words belie the fact of your youth. Or perhaps you have not yet had time to encounter enough of the naysayers of this world to engender in your psyche the bitterness towards some of our fellow human beings which many of us old codgers have?!

I must admit that I am not a great fan of electronic bird-record data bases due to the problems I had some years ago with a well known Australian application. The total failure of that program and its inability to cope with an upgrade of my PC meant the complete loss of all of the records I had entered over a reasonable period of time. I still had the hard copies but I was (and continue to be) reluctant to "waste" endless hours re-entering those records into a data-base which, based on previous experience, was likely to fail again. Also, as I had experienced a lot of trouble actually working out how to use the program, and it did not appear to allow me to do what I wanted to do (to simply record, associate and recall) I had no desire to go to an upgraded version of that program.

Along with the feeling that those personal records are of little real scientific value because I was simply noting what I had seen and where (no specific details of numbers, ages, sexes, plumages, breeding, geography, weather, time etc) I did not bother to investigate other data-bases to see if there was anything better than the one I had been using. Nowadays, I don't even record what birds I see as I am only really interested in taking photos and I can usually work out where they were taken when I review them later.

Thus I have not since that fateful day felt the need for a data-base to record my sightings.

However.......................
Time goes on, as my age-ravaged body tells me many times a day (uh! there it goes again!), and it may be time for me to think again.
I will have a good look at Birdstack.

David, it seems to me that you and your colleagues are open to suggestions (and are capable of handling un-thoughtful criticism with aplomb) and may just be able to produce something which will, in time, be definitive. There may be a number of other data-bases around the ridges but that surely means that none is perfect. Probably none will ever be perfect but adding another to the melting pot surely provides birdwatchers with the chance of finding something which suits THEM!

Good luck with the venture.
Obviously your team has put a lot of thought and time into this project and, even if only for that, you deserve praise and support rather than invective and thoughtless dismissal.

Incidentally, if you do visit Australia again (and why wouldn't you?) I am sure you will receive a much warmer and more genuinely friendly and helpful reception than you have so far received on Birding-Aus.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld