birding-aus

Ethical Birding

To: "'Greg & Val Clancy'" <>, <>
Subject: Ethical Birding
From: "Giles" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:18:38 +0200
Greg

Was aware of the Aussie position - but this is one of my main personal
projects as a member of the board of the Mpumalanga Tourism & Parks Agency
(Mpumalanga is a province in the NE of SA, including 1/2 the Kruger National
Park).

I have accessed many of your government's (and NGO's) papers on financial
incentives (not necessarily direct payments, but rather reductions in taxes,
etc) to encourage land-owners to look after their land. As SA doesn't have
the financial resources available to you, so trying to persuade our
government of the advantages is not easy.  However, there is a real
opportunity as rates (land tax) is now being extended to rural areas - much
to the horror of farmers.  Up to now they haven't had to pay a cent in tax
apart from income tax or VAT.  So allowing them a discount for good
environmental management may soften the blow.  The problem is how to measure
good management in a legally defensible way that doesn't cost a fortune to
implement!

If you (or anyone else on Birding-Aus) knows of anyone actively working in
this field, I would really be interested in corresponding with them. Our
treasury has expressed concrete interest in this topic, and is finalising
its environmental fiscal review right now.

Giles
Giles Mulholland
4-site planning cc (making the future happen)
P.O. Box 162, Schagen 1207, South Africa
E-mail: birds =at= 4siteplanning.co.za
Web: www.4-siteplanning.com
Interested in birding in Mpumalanga (South Africa)? then subscribe to the
group by sending a blank e-mail to: