birding-aus

Ethical Birding - radjah shelduck - winchelsea Vic

To: <>
Subject: Ethical Birding - radjah shelduck - winchelsea Vic
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:34:08 +1100
On the topic of EB, I paid a visit to see the Radjah Shelducks near
Winchelsea last Wednesday.  They were still there.

The property owner was very obliging when I asked if I could come to
see them.  Allowing me to just pop in and walk around to see them.

I have found it much better to ask for permission and often get great
cooperation from the landowner concerned.  It also helps to "evangelise"
with them about birds and birding in general.

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris
President, Victorian Association for Environmental Education (VAEE)
Environmental Education Officer
Donvale Christian College
155 Tindals Rd Donvale 3111
0409 090 955

>>> "Russell Woodford" <> 21/01/2008
10:49 am >>>
My advice on how to behave usually only covers the use of this mailing
list.  Please forgive me if I step over that line today and remind
people
that it is very important to act ethically and responsibly when
birding.

I've had a report from a birding-aus member about the disappointing
behaviour of some other birders looking for the Little Curlew at
Little
River (near Geelong, Vic) over the last couple of days. It seems that
people have been going into private property to get better views of
the
bird. Some of these birders have neither asked for permission nor
thought
it necessary to do so.

Trespassing on private property to see a bird, or to see it better, or
photograph it is unethical because it not only breaks the law, but it
might:

cause problems for others who want to see the bird
create unnecessary disturbance for the bird itself
annoy the landowner
give birders / birding a poor reputation

Please be thoughtful about private property and other birders!

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

http://www.birding-aus.org

--
This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not
the intended recipient, you must

not disclose or use the information in this email. If received in
error, please notify us immediately and

delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that
this email is virus or error free. The

attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that
the user assumes all responsibility for

any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly from the use of the
attached files, whether caused by

the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this
email are not necessarily those of

the College.