birding-aus

Canada Geese.

Subject: Canada Geese.
From: Mike Jarman <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:01:39 +1100
Hi All

The Canada Geese are still hanging around and were spotted yesterday in the
Milton area.  They are not visiting the wetland at the end of Wilfords lane as
often as they did.

The NSW NPWS is well aware of the birds and it is true that they don't
technically fit within the NPWS act, unless of course they enter a National
Park.  The Deptartment of Primary Industries has shown an interest in the birds
and is keen to not see them become a pest species in Australia.  The NPWS and
DPI are currently considering methods of removal from the wild. As outlined on
birding-aus there are a number of issues to be considered.

The population in NZ has decended from less than 50 birds introduced in 1905.
Apparently they were a gift from Theodore Roosevelt, providing the kiwis
(people, not the birds) with something to shoot.  The population now is
suspected at about 40 000 geese and increasing rapidly.

more information on Canada Geese in NZ is available at these websites where you
can download the PDFs for free

www.mwpress.co.nz/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=567

www.jstor.org/view/0022541x/ap070123/07a00050/0

In the meantime the birds will be monitored and thier movements recorded.
Unless they fly back to NZ, Canada or Bondi they should be able to be seen in
the Milton area for the next few weeks, at least until a plan is implemented

cheers

mike