birding-aus

Koels and Pied Currawongs

To: <>
Subject: Koels and Pied Currawongs
From: "alan morris" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 07:41:26 +1100
Hi Everyone,
I am interested in the comments from Carol Abbott concerning the Pied Currawong rearing a juvenile Koel Cuckoo. There is no doubt that the bird is a juvenile Koel.

As it is extremely unusual for Pied Currawongs to be the host for a Koel Cuckoo ( I know of no previous records at least in NSW), I wonder if a mistake has been made and that the Pied Currawong is just as casual observer. Has the Currawong actually been seen feeding the Koel? The usual host for Koels in Sydney is Red & Little Wattlebirds and occasionally Noisy Friarbirds.

Alan Morris