birding-aus

Overcoming some limitations of Canon Powershot S series cameras

To: <>
Subject: Overcoming some limitations of Canon Powershot S series cameras
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:41:49 +1100
I've finally (after a year) got around to working out how to make my Canon S3
IS take decent shots of birds, and have been playing around with shutter
priority mode.

I discovered that you can't make it use the wider apertures at speeds greater
than 1/1600, and to find out why I started a thread on www.dpreview.com.
Apparently you can load alternative software, called CHDK onto the S series
cameras, and it not only overcomes this problem, but allows for much faster
shutter speeds.

Someone posted a photo of a hummingbird, with the wing tips nearly frozen,
claiming it was taken at f3.5 (the maximum when fully zoomed) and 1/8000.
Normally at 1/3200, the normal maximum, you're limited to f8.

S series owners here might be interested to have a look at it:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=26422883

Peter Shute