birding-aus

What is a Feral?

To: "Carl Clifford" <>
Subject: What is a Feral?
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:44:52 +1100
Hi Carl,

It is certainly an interesting topic.  There's a theoretical side of things,
and also the practical/economic side of things to consider.  On the
theoretic side of things, Cattle Egrets possibly could be considered as
feral/introduced, though self-introduction from a native population is in my
mind a natural process (assuming that is what happened).  On the practical
side of things, controlling Cattle Egrets doesn't appear to be necessary or
financially viable.  And if Canada Geese reached the kind of numbers that
Cattle Egrets are in, I doubt we could afford to control them either, even
if it became necessary.

As for the point about the Dingo, well while the cutoff is arbitrary in some
respects, how far back do you go?  I remember a few years back on this forum
being corrected on calling House Sparrow a native of England because the
Romans introduced them 2000 years ago (I'd appreciate a reference on this if
anyone has one, since I couldn't verify it when I tried).  I doubt there'd
be too many English birders that would consider House Sparrow a feral in
England.

Regards,
Chris