birding-aus

Walky talkies

To: Don and Llane Hadden <>
Subject: Walky talkies
From: Brad Crowe <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:49:48 +1100
I agree that some of the distance claims are fairly dodgy and many UHF CB hand-held transceivers (HT) have quite low power output, often these will only have AA batteries and a very small antenna as well - good for the eye but not for effectiveness. The highest power HTs are the 5 watt ones. These will normally have inbuilt batteries, some have drop in chargers (very convenient), and also usually have better antennas. A 5 watt one should easily achieve a distance of 5 klm in average terrain.

An alternative is to get yourself an amateur radio operators license which you can get by attending a weekend course which are run by many amateur radio clubs in Australia. These are easy to do and you will learn a lot of basic stuff and get to know people that know heaps about radio, Amateur radios use different frequencies to the CB ones and you will be able to fit much more efficient antennas and really know about radio wave propagation. More details are on the Wireless Institute of Australia web site (wia.org.au) and look up Foundation License. As you can guess that is my main hobby and I am quite envious of guys like Don and Llane that live in the bush as you have wonderful opportunities for putting up fabulous antennas - not possible in my flat in Sydney. Like bird watching I think amateur radio is ideal for "bushies"....using HTs for communication is a great idea....good luck to you both. Cheers Brad Crowe.

Don and Llane Hadden wrote:
Has anyone had experience of using these in the field? We live far from any mobile phone coverage and there have been times when 2 of us have been searching for birds and it would have been really handy to have been able to call them up to come over and see something special. I'm interested in the best possible range. It would be helpful if they took AA batteries but I guess not essential. I tried a fairly basic Uniden pair yesterday with a claim of up to 4km. They were marginal at 1km and useless beyond.
Any suggestions?

Don Hadden

PMB 922
Derby