birding-aus

Canada Geese (Real Update)

To: <>
Subject: Canada Geese (Real Update)
From: R Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:13:57 +1100

Hi all,

This is an update of sorts but as far as I am aware the
situation hasn’t changed [The geese are still MIA].

I spoke to the property owners on Wilford’s Land, Milton
(south coast NSW) today and the Canada geese were last seen on Monday morning
before
flying north (as previously reported).

As I was contemplating a bit of a drive this weekend I also
made a few enquiries yesterday regarding the origins of the birds. Birders that
did successfully twitch these geese may be pleased to know the following….

They have not escaped from any of the three NSW south coast
zoos (Mogo Zoo, Birdland Wildlife Park in Batemans
 Bay or Nowra Wildlife Park).
I’ve spoken to staff at each zoo and none of these facilities holds the
species.

I have also spoken to the president of the Pheasant and
Waterfowl Society of Australia. He made the following comments

a)         If any
member had lost four Canada Geese he is quite certain he would have heard about
it;

b)         He believes
he knows the location of perhaps 90% of all privately held Canada Geese in
NSW and reckons over 90% of these are pinioned [a process that renders
them flightless];

c)         He is not
aware of any captive groups where four or more individuals can fly.

The exchange steward for the same society has also commented
that he is not aware of any Canada Geese in private collections in this area.

The last bit of info I have was posted to birding-aus by
Noel Luff today and suggests ‘handfeeding’ (as reported by Tim Dolby) meant
spreading grain for the birds to subsequently feed on, rather than them taking
food from the hand.

I don't recall any comments as to whether they are banded
or not but reckon all other indications are that these birds are of wild origin
and thus have arrived from NZ.

Is anyone interested in searching for them over the weekend?

Regards,

Rohan Clarke0408947001