birding-aus

Bush-hen and Black Bittern

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Bush-hen and Black Bittern
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:38:58 +1000

A Bush-hen returned here on 15th December for the fifth successive year, and
we've been hearing its distinctive call most afternoons and evenings since.
We've had good views of it some years, but mostly we just get used to hearing
it calling, usually through into January, and don't interfere with it.

When I looked out through the dining-room windows at 5am on Friday morning, a
Black Bittern was standing in shallow water right in front of the house. I
tried to sneak onto the verandah for some better photographs – but it flew off
immediately I got out there.

However, just a little to the left of where the bittern had been the Bush-hen
was strolling about in the shallows - calling occasionally as he wandered
around completely in the open. I managed half-a-dozen photos from the verandah,
as well as a good long look through my binoculars. This individual looks prime
for breeding, with a rich bluish-purple breast.

Around 7am when I took another look through the windows, the Black Bittern was
back again, so I just snapped away through the closed window, and got some
passable images. The bittern turns up in the same spot at some stage most days,
the present shallow level of the creek just in front of the house seems to suit
its needs. But it's a very flighty bird indeed.

I'll put the photos of both birds on the Abberton website asap, and let you
know as soon as I get them there.

As I write this at 7.30pm on Monday 31st January, I can hear the Bush-hen is
going through its repertoire - it will very likely once again to be the last
bird on my list for the year.

Bill Jolly

'Abberton'
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27º 34' 21' S; 152º 08' 21' E)

Visit our website at www.abberton.org

What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org