birding-aus

RFI: Crimson Rosella colour variations.

To: <>
Subject: RFI: Crimson Rosella colour variations.
From: "Cas and Lisa Liber" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:26:07 +1100

Interesting - the presence of hybridization is one reason why separate
species are reclassified as subspecies (as has what has happened here).
Recently, the Hooded Crow and Carrion Crow were reclassified from subspecies
to species on the basis of reduced vigor and narrower than expected range of
hybrid forms (!). Not sure how universally this has been accepted though.
Cas