birding-aus

Capitalisation in hyphenated names

Subject: Capitalisation in hyphenated names
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:19:33 +1100
I know I will sound grumpy on this one (I guess I am tired after another week
away from home).
However, this has been covered a number of times previously on Birding-Aus
(have a look in the archives) and the concensus is that it is inconsitent and
different countries do it differently. You end up with names like
Willie-wagtail and Magpie-goose which are in Howard and Moore because Europeans
think becaue they aren't true wagtails or geese that they should be hyphenated
(though they are happy to still call Petroicas robins)
Common Names don't mean much - the scientific name is the most important thing
and so it should come down to personal preference on how things are spelled.
When you get arguements that a Pygmy-goose is not a goose (and so should have
lower case) it gets a bit difficult. I put everything after the hyphen (if it
exists as lower case) and have published reports through work with this (I have
lots of Glossy Black-cockatoos). Otherwise it just gets too confusing.
Cheers,
Peter> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:12:03 +1100> From: > To:
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Capitalisation in
hyphenated names> CC: > > If I look in latest Pizzey
then he would agree with the two Doves. But has> King Parrot as two words.>
Fieldwren and Scrubwren are both one word, Fairy-wren is hyphenated as is>
Emu-wren.> So not consistent with your theory (which is a reasonable one!)> >
On 01/12/2007,  <> wrote:> >> >
G'day Peter> >> > A Turtle-Dove is a Dove.> > A Cuckoo-Dove is a Dove> > A
King-Parrot is a Parrot> >> > A Bee-eater is not an Eater (no such bird name)>
> A Button-quail is not a Quail> > A Fairy-wren is not a Wren> > A Native-hen
mailing list,> > send the message:> > unsubscribe> > (in the body of the
message, with no Subject line)> > to: > >