birding-aus

Corella

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Corella
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:27:02 +1100
Hi birders,

In August I observed a Corella at Fitzroy Crossing in the Kimberly. It was
sitting alone on the wires where I managed to get a couple of fairly ordinary
pics. It was a very dirty brown colour, which I believe is a result of feeding
on the very dusty red/brown ground in the area. (I had previously seen a
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo in Kakadu with a dark grey belly but it was feeding on
Pandanus nuts on recently burnt ground)

For this location it should be a Little Corella, but the upper mandible seems
to be longer than normal, more like a Long billed Corella. Could this be a
deformity that causes the bird to feed in a way that it gets extra dirty? I saw
a number of other Corellas in the vicinity, some with a brownish tinge on the
chest and belly, but nothing as marked as this bird. I could not get close
enough to the others to check the bill.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Roger.Giller/Corella?authkey=DgNJhVfOCjo

Regards

Roger Giller