birding-aus

2007 BA National Thon Results

To: "Tim Dolby" <>
Subject: 2007 BA National Thon Results
From: peter crow <>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:08:48 +1000
Tim

Thanks for the results. Congratulations to all who took part especially those who raised goodly amounts.

Sometimes I think its sad we give all credit to those who see the most birds and not to those who raise the most.

The money is for the birds. The numbers are for the personal glory of the participants.

Before anyone gets all hot and bothered I have participated in such events and still do when able but fret about dashing about the country assisting global warming to see birds.

We all do it but maybe we should be more environmentally aware.

Maybe we chould give consideration to some of the Birds Queensland practices where as well as the normal dash for cash (numbers) events are conducted that involves using only public transport or pedal and foot power.

In the 2008 event the best result on bicycles was 168 birds in the 24 hours by a team of three.

This is no where near the 238 seen by the Wacked-out Woodswallows but the cyclists probably didn't travel anywhere near as far as the WOWs and certainly contributed far less to our pollution and climate problems.

Others travelled only by public transport and a few walked -NO motorised transport from their front door to their front door.

How about it other states? Try including a far more environment friendly event in the 2009 national.

Peter