birding-aus

RFI: Gold Coast / Surfers

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI: Gold Coast / Surfers
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:08:19 -0800 (PST)
I moved to the Gold Coast from Brisbane a few months ago and I am still trying
to figure out where the birding spots are!

I have found some good wetlands and reed beds in the Varsity Lakes Wetland
Reserve behind the Casua Industrial Estate just off Casua Drive (which is a
service road running parrallel with Reedy Creek Rd near the exit from the
Pacific Motorway).  I have seen a couple of Jabiru in there, Yellow-tailed
Black Cockatoos, lots of ducks and I reckon it has to be a good spot for crake,
rail and bittern but I just haven't had a chance to check it out in the evening
yet.

Another good spot that is local is the Federation walk along the Spit (opposite
Sea World).  There should be some opportunities for waders and terns etc on the
adjacent Broadwater.

Let me know if you need any further directions.

Cheers,

Carl Billingham

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.
www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail