birding-aus

RE: Painted Honeyeaters at Jandowae, QLD

To: <>
Subject: RE: Painted Honeyeaters at Jandowae, QLD
From: Lee Mason <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:17:41 +1030
Hi all,
Myself and another birding friend took a drive out to Jandowae on Wed (14 Nov)
to hopefully see the Painted and Black Honeyeaters that have been reported
there of late.

We used Bird Trail map No.1 off the Wambo Shire Council's website as our guide
for the day and found it to be quite useful (the GPS data was spot on).

We started at Site 5 which seemed to have the best reputation and had the
Painted Honeyeaters within 5mins of getting out the car.  We walked down the
track for a bit and found pairs of Black Honeyeaters quite easily too.  This
was probably the best site of our day with other highlights (for me) being
Singing and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters (giving me 4 new birds).

Next stop was Site 6 (after stopping along the way for some White-browed
Woodswallows, another new bird for me). This site was pretty quiet compared to
No.5 but there was plenty of Striped Honeyeaters, Mistletoebirds, some more
Black Honeyeaters and a few Diamond Doves (another tick for me).

We had a look around Site 6a (as per Dan's original report) and added
Pale-headed Rosella and Grey-crowned Babblers to the days list but not much
else.

Site 3 gave us more Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, Scaly-breasted Lorikeets, some
more Cockatiels (we saw a flock of 100+ earlier near site 5) and we were
followed around by a group of Apostlebirds.

Site 1 (Jandowae Treatment Plant) had mostly Hardheads and Pacific Black Ducks.

Site 15 (Jandowae Dam) proved to be a nice surprise (both that it had water at
all and for the birds).  The highlights here were Black-winged Stilts, Glossy
Ibis, Royal and Yellow Spoonbills, White-winged Trillers, White-browed
Woodswallows and a lone Plum-headed Finch that landed on a branch next to me
and posed for some photos (another new bird for me).

Site 8 highlights were Common Bronzewing, Dollarbird, Little Corella, Brown
Songlark, Blue-faced Honeyeater, more Babblers and Pale-headed Rosella.

Site 9 was very quite with nothing much seen except for Noisy Miners and Galahs.

On our way back to Hervey Bay we stopped at the Wooroolin Wetlands (just
outside Kingaroy) but they were completely dry (and had been for a long time by
the look of it).  Nothing of interest was found, just lots of Galahs and some
nice photo opps of wildflowers and dead trees.

All up we got 72 species for the day and I added 9 new birds to my list.

If anyone wants more info please let me know.

Cheers and happy birding
Lee Mason Hervey Bay, QLD
Overpaid or Underpaid? Check our comprehensive Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org