birding-aus

FW: Twitchathon 2007

To: Allan Benson <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: FW: Twitchathon 2007
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 00:22:53 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for posting the results Allan,

Like Greg's forthcoming 'Stalker-Talk', I'll be posting a wrap-up of the
Brewer's 2007 campaign soon(ish). It will be from the pen of Jacqueline Winter
of course.

But in brief, we had another incredible run this year, bettering the record set
last year, which was actually 233 (not 232). I think it's the 3rd year in a row
that the record has been beaten by two teams...one just beating it by a few
more than the other!

Once again, we scored quite a few more birds on the Saturday than the Sunday
(126 vs 112) but I think the main catalyst for our bigger total this year was
being at the Hunter Estuary / Ash Island right on the high tide (and it was a
big tide), as we saw every wader species that we could have reasonably
expected, with the exception of Red-necked Stint. We also "finished" our
scheduled route with 2.5 hours to spare, enabling us time to head back to
various sites and 'mop up' dipped birds.

Of interest, there were lots of Crimson Chats this year in the Gunnedah area,
including birds in small groups (4-7 birds) in Box Open Forest habitat. It
appears likely that they are going to breed there too.

Stay tuned for the Brewer's Banter.

Mick Roderick