birding-aus

Central Park New York City 28 Oct - Trip Report

To: <>
Subject: Central Park New York City 28 Oct - Trip Report
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:24:35 +1100
Hello all, just got back from a business trip overseas and thought that some of
you may be interested in hearing about some birding I did between meetings in
the big apple.

Having been to NY a few times in the past I took this opportunity to check out
Central Park as I had some spare time on a week-end. Firstly I must say that
for those of you that don't know - this place is a real oasis and a must visit
if you are in town. Although I visited CP in late October and unfortunately
missed the fall migration proper, according to local birders its a real hot
spot comparable to any east coast hot spot in the height of passage.

Highlights from a mornings birding included 2 Ovenbirds pottering around in
leaf litter - seemingly oblivious to my presence (you guessed it - no camera),
2 Palm Warblers and a single Virginia Rail. All these birds were seen around
the central lake area which is surrounded by deciduous woodland - this is also
probably the best general area in CP. This area is close to the Museum of
Natural History level with 79th St accessed best via 8th Ave.

Initially I caught a cab up Madison Ave and got dropped off at "the circle"
which is basically the corner of 5th Ave and 110th St and then zig-zagged my
way north to south through the park. At the northern end there is an even
greater expanse of deciduous woodland and another lake area and this would also
be very productive at the right time. On this trip I saw Red-tailed Hawk, Song,
Chipping, and White-throated Sparrows (which were common throughout the park),
Tufted Titmouse, Northern Flicker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Wood-PeeWee,
Brown Creeper and what I was pretty sure was a Winter Wren.

Just above the centre of the park is a large reservoir which included sightings
of Ring-billed Gull, Lesser black-backed Gull, Double-crested Cormorant,
Northern Shoveler and a few rafts of Ruddy Ducks.

Other highlights in the park included Hermit Thrush (everywhere), Red-bellied
Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (common), White-breasted Nuthatch
(fantastic bird), Dark-eyed Junco, Eastern Towhee, Northern Cardinal,
Golden-crowned Kinglet, Black-capped Chickadee and Common Grackle.

More common birds included Blue Jay and American Robin.

So next time you are in New York and especially around spring and fall check
out this great park.

Cheers
Simon.