birding-aus

Kimberley migrants

To: "BirdsWA" <>
Subject: Kimberley migrants
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:03:00 +0900
The following is a brief summary of the various migrants that have passed
through Mt Barnett along the Gibb River Road 300km east of Derby in Western
Australia.

Wood Sandpiper. First bird seen 30th July and odd sightings until 14 September.
None since.
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. 1 bird seen 11 September.
Common Sandpiper. 1 bird on 30 August.
Common Greenshank. Sightings from 30 August until 14 September.
Little Curlew. One at the sewage pond 7 October. Stayed until 30 October
Oriental Plover. First birds seen on 9 September. Birds are still present eg 10
still on the airstrip.
Sacred Kingfishers. First birds in from PNG 21 September and now calling
incessantly everywhere I travel in the Kimberley.
Channel-billed Cuckoo. First bird seen 21 September.
Dollarbird. First birds seen 21 September.
Common Koel. I didn't hear any birds calling until 21 October.
Yellow Wagtail. Just saw my first bird today 1 November at the sewage ponds
when I was photographing the Orange Chat that also turned up today. If anyone
reading this is an expert in Yellow Wagtail subspecies and wouldn't mind
helping me id the pics I have taken I'll email them to you.

Don Hadden

PMB 922
Derby
WA 6728