birding-aus

Egg Collectors?

To: "" <>
Subject: Egg Collectors?
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:24:22 +1100
Catalyst on Thu had a segment on using DNA to identify smuggled eggs -
showed "Border Patrol"-like footage both of people smuggling eggs in
and out of Aus. One guy who was caught (with eggs in a type of corset)
immediately started to hit his sides to smash the eggs. Apparently it
is important to identify which species are being smuggled as penalty
varies - these guys from memory copped 2 year jail terms?