birding-aus

David Siems

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: David Siems
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:49:31 +1000
Thanks, Murray, for informing Birding-Aus members about the very sad death of David Siems.

David contacted a month ago to ask me to unsubscribe him as his illness was getting worse and his birding days were over. However, he did make the effort to tell me that there is always something interesting happening with birds, even if you can't look for new ones. He wrote about helping a nearby Satin Bowerbird - it didn't have enough blue colour, so David provided various blue items, and before long the bird had attracted six females! I relate this story to you all to show not only David's optimism, but just how much pleasure we can find in birds in even the toughest of circumstances.

I also include the following message from David's sister, Pauline:

To the Friends of David Siems,

David, whom we have affectionately named ‘The Birdman’ has passed away at 68 years after a long battle with leukaemia on 23rdOctober 2007 at David Berry Palliative Care Hospital in Berry NSW.

A funeral service will be held at 12:30pm Wednesday 31st October at the Nowra Uniting Church on the corner of Berry and Junction streets Nowra, NSW Australia.

All those wishing to attend are very welcome.

A donation to the Leukaemia Foundation would be greatly appreciated in lieu of any flowers that you may wish to send.

For those of you who would like to know David’s bird sighting record, it stands at 4,190 species. This is nearly 50% of the world’s species.

As David would say ‘Good birding to you all.’

Yours Sincerely

Pauline Siems
(David’s Sister)

Farewell to a wonderful man and a great birder.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org

--
This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email. If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the College.