birding-aus

Westgate Park, Melbourne

Subject: Westgate Park, Melbourne
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:14:39 +1000
Hi All,
I made my first trip to Westgate Park on Sunday. I was there in the middle of a fairly hot day but there were quite a few birds around. The highlights were breeding Black-winged Stilts, Silver Gulls, Coot and Chestnut Teal. Some of the Black-winged Stilts had chicks (around 6 of them all in the 'fluff-ball' stage). One stilt was also on a nest on one of the islands and there was a some combat between the stilts and the Silver Gulls. One gull also seemed to be sitting on a nest on the same island and there were several juvenile Silver Gulls around. On the same island I also had a brief glimpse of a Red-kneed Dotterel. Several Coot also had chicks and one was sitting on a nest. One pair of Chestnut Teal had six ducklings. Some of the other birds around were Hoary-headed Grebe, Greenfinch, White-faced Heron, Masked Lapwing, Black-fronted Dotterel and White-browed Scrub-wren.
All the best,
Nick

Advertisement: Overpaid or Underpaid? Check our comprehensive Salary Centre http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT