birding-aus

Buff Banded Rail at Cherrybrook

Subject: Buff Banded Rail at Cherrybrook
From: Margaret Joan Wharton <>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:35:44 +1000
On 19th I was having a late lunch outside the back of my place which looks onto a section of bush featuring Sydney blue gums etc and I took a look at the drain/creek to see anything interest e.g. the water dragons which are there at present. I saw a bird that was not a duck or ashape I knew so got the binoculars and to my surprise saw a buff banded rail feeding. There was very little water in the area at the time and it walked along the edge of the water.

Some years ago I was told of a buff banded rail being in the same creek (at the rear of 45 Edward Bennett Dr) and even saw it myself. But I haven't seen one for several years. Would this bird be passing through or perhaps breeding along the creek?

Joan Wharton
Cherrybrook, Sydney